Robert G. Stahl
Westfield, New Jersey Office: 908-301-9001
New York City Office: 212-755-3300
Robert G. Stahl, Esq., an attorney since 1989, founded the firm in 1997, after six years of award-winning service as a federal prosecutor.
Since launching The Law Offices of Robert G. Stahl he has represented clients in complex criminal, and civil matters, both at trial and on appeal, and matters before the NASD and SEC. Mr. Stahl has defended numerous clients and corporations charged with healthcare fraud and securities fraud. Mr. Stahl spends approximately 90 percent of his time defending individuals and corporations charged with federal and state violations. His list of clients includes individuals, government officials and corporations in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Massachusetts, the United Kingdom, and the former U.S.S.R.
Mr. Stahl has an extensive background in criminal investigations and trials. He was an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of New Jersey for more than six years and specialized in leading the investigation and prosecution of complex white-collar crime, tax, and organized crime cases. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Mr. Stahl successfully prosecuted multi-defendant, complex fraud cases lasting as long as nine months, including the largest excise tax fraud case in the history of the United States.
During his USDOJ tenure, Mr. Stahl received two of the highest national awards given by the Department of Justice and the Attorney General of the United States for his outstanding trial skills. Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney's Office, Mr. Stahl was a law clerk for U.S. District Court Judge John W. Bissell for two years. Mr. Stahl graduated magna cum laude from Seton Hall Law School.
Mr. Stahl regularly appears in federal and state courts throughout New Jersey and federal courts in New York, Pennsylvania, Florida and Massachusetts.
He also represents select defendants charged with crimes of violence. Currently, he represents a former police officer in north Jersey facing murder charges. In Boston Federal Court, Mr. Stahl represents Dias Kadyrbayev, one of the two students from Kazakhstan charged in connection with the aftermath of the Boston Marathon Bombing.
Mr. Stahl is admitted to practice in the State of New Jersey, the District of New Jersey, the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Stahl belongs to the American Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Association, the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Federal Bar Association, the Union County Bar Association and the American Association for Justice.
For six consecutive years, from 2007-2013, Mr. Stahl has been selected as a Super Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense. Mr. Stahl is Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Criminal Trial Attorney. The Certified Trial Lawyer designation by the New Jersey Supreme Court is limited to lawyers who have demonstrated 1) substantial involvement in trial matter in Superior Court; 2) an unblemished reputation as attested to by judges and lawyers; and 3) substantial knowledge and continuing legal education shown by passing a special written examination on trial practice.
Mr. Stahl also appears as a legal commentator on Fox News and Fox Business News and has been quoted in major newspapers and wire services across the United States.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Criminal & Civil Law Litigation
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1989
- Honors: Winner, 1988 Appellate Moot Court Competition and Best Brief
- Honors: 1988 National Moot Court Team Member
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
- B.A. - 1979
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Dean's List
- White-Collar Criminal Defense in Federal Court -
- - Individuals and Corporations
- Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Industry Employees
Honors and Awards
- Director's Award, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996
- John Marshall Award, U. S. Department of Justice, 1999
- Selected as Super Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense, 2007 - 2013
- Certified Criminal Trial Attorney - New Jersey Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association
- Union County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
Past Employment Positions
- Stahl & Horblit, LLC, Summit, N.J., Private Practice, 1997 - 1999
- United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Strike Force Division, 1991 - 1997
- Hon. John W. Bissell, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, Law Clerk, 1989 - 1991
- United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey, Paralegal Specialist & Law Enforcement Committee Coordinator, 1986 - 1989
- Somerset County Prosecutor, Detective-Sergeant, Narcotics Task Force & Homicide Division, 1980 - 1985