Robert G. Stahl, Esq.
Robert G. Stahl, Esq., an attorney since 1989, founded the firm in 1997, after six years of award-winning service as a federal prosecutor. The skills and experience he gained by overseeing some of the most complex investigations and trials as a federal prosecutor, are now used to defend those being investigated or charged by the government. Mr. Stahl started his criminal defense practice with one goal in mind – to provide the best possible defense for individuals targeted by the government. His approach to cases is straight forward – work hard, focus on the details, commit to finding the weaknesses in the government’s case, and provide the client and their family with the support to get through one of the most stressful times of their lives.
Since launching Stahl Criminal Defense Lawyers, he has represented clients in complex criminal matters, both at trial and on appeal, and matters before the NASD and SEC. Mr. Stahl represents those charged in a variety of frauds, and specializes in representing licensed professionals such as: physicians, dentists, lawyers, accountants, appraisers, real estate agents, mortgage brokers, and investment advisors and brokers charged with healthcare fraud, mortgage fraud, securities fraud and tax crimes. He also represents select defendants charged with crimes of violence, drug offenses and money laundering. Most recently he represented a number of individuals in the District of New Jersey involved in marketing compounded medicines; a pain management physician accused of over-prescribing opioids; an Essex County political appointee in a federal tax evasion case; a former police officer in Bergen County facing murder charges; in federal court in Boston, one of the two students from Kazakhstan charged in connection with the aftermath of the Boston Marathon Bombing; and a person charged in federal court in the Southern District of New York in a murder-for-hire plot.
While many of Mr. Stahl’s successes can be read in newspapers and on-line, some of the most satisfying successes never come to the public’s attention because he has successfully convinced the prosecutor to decline bringing charges. When retained early in the investigative stage, the firm’s goal is to prevent charges from being brought.
Mr. Stahl’s entire practice is devoted to defending individuals and corporations charged with federal and state violations. His list of clients includes individuals, government officials and corporations In federal courts throughout the United States, state courts in New Jersey and New York, and overseas in places including the United Kingdom and the former U.S.S.R.
Mr. Stahl has an extensive background in criminal investigations and trials. He was an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of New Jersey for more than six years and specialized in leading the investigation and prosecution of complex white-collar crime, tax, and organized crime cases. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Mr. Stahl successfully prosecuted multi-defendant, complex fraud cases with trials lasting as long as nine months, including the largest excise tax fraud case in the history of the United States.
During his USDOJ tenure, Mr. Stahl received two of the highest national awards given by the Department of Justice and the Attorney General of the United States for his outstanding trial skills. Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney's Office, Mr. Stahl was a law clerk for U.S. District Court Judge John W. Bissell for two years. Mr. Stahl graduated magna cum laude from Seton Hall Law School.
Since 2007, Mr. Stahl has been continuously selected as a Super Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense. Mr. Stahl is Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Criminal Trial Attorney. The Certified Trial Lawyer designation by the New Jersey Supreme Court is limited to lawyers who have demonstrated
- Substantial involvement in trial matter in Superior Court;
- An unblemished reputation as attested to by judges and lawyers; and
- Substantial knowledge and continuing legal education shown by passing a special written examination on trial practice.
Mr. Stahl also appears as a legal commentator on Fox News and Fox Business News and has been quoted in major newspapers and wire services across the United States.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Criminal Law Litigation
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1998
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1989
- Honors: Winner, 1988 Appellate Moot Court Competition and Best Brief
- Honors: 1988 National Moot Court Team Member
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
- B.A. - 1979
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Dean's List
- White-Collar Criminal Defense in Federal Court -
- - Individuals and Corporations
- Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Industry Employees
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, composed of the best of the trial bar from the U.S. and Canada. Fellowship is restricted to experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality.
- AV-Rated, Highest Possible Peer Review in Legal Ability or Ethical Standards, 2000 - Present
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 - Present
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2013 - Present
- Selected as Super Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense, 2007 - Present
- New Jersey's Top Rated Lawyers / Legal Leaders 2018 – Present
- Certified Criminal Trial Attorney - New Jersey Supreme Court
- John Marshall Award, U.S. Department of Justice, 1999
- Director's Award, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association
- Union County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
Past Employment Positions
- The Law Offices of Robert G. Stahl, LLC, 1997- Present
- United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Strike Force Division, 1991 - 1997
- Hon. John W. Bissell, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, Law Clerk, 1989 - 1991
- United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey, Paralegal Specialist & Law Enforcement Committee Coordinator, 1986 - 1989
- Somerset County Prosecutor, Detective-Sergeant, Narcotics Task Force & Homicide Division, 1980 - 1985